Connecting communities to collected words.
The Australian First Languages Collections Strategy 2013 is an historic effort to uncover and share the linguistic treasures of the First Languages of Australia held within our collecting institutions.
The goals of the strategy are to coordinate awareness and management of the wealth of materials held in collections that relate to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander languages. Key elements of the project are:
- the identification of language materials
- communication between institutions about materials held
- coordinating digitisation between institutions
- exploring best options for archiving of materials
- making materials accessible for Aboriginal community members
- supporting the creation of a one stop portal for access to First Language materials.
Download the National Indigenous Collections Strategy.